Taken 10-Feb-12
Visitors 827


Bolton, Churchgate c1947

A view east along Churchgate. The Parish Church of St Peter is the background. The architect was EG Paley 1872. There are some in interesting features in the streetscene. The road is paved in stone setts. Extreme left is a gas street lamp, a hotel selling wines and spirits, and the Capitol Cinema. Notice the telephone box and older buildings on the extreme right. One weather-wall of an adjacent building is clad entirely in Welsh slate. The letters RAOB on the wall of the Derby Arms Public House stand for the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes, a fraternal and community organisation with originally strong associations with the theatre world. The Theatre Royal was situated in Churchgate. The public house on the left next to the Capitol Cinema was The Golden Lion.
Photo Ref: image-File 480

Categories & Keywords
Category:City Scenes
Subcategory:Street Scenes
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords:1947, RAOB, architecture, bolton, capitol cinema, cars, church of england, churches, churchgate, cinemas, gas-lamps, lancashire, paley, public houses, pubs, religion, royal antediluvian order of buffaloes, slate, st peter, street lighting, telephone boxes, theatre royal

Bolton, Churchgate c1947