Visitors 1135


Manchester Royal Infirmary, Piccadilly

"Its first premises was a house in Garden Street, off Withy Grove, Manchester. It grew in importance and needed to expand, the infirmary moved to considerably larger premises on Lever's Row in the area now known as Piccadilly Gardens (the gardens were only created after the demolition of the former MRI buildings in 1914). The site was donated by the Lord of the Manor and had previously been called the Daub Holes: these pits had filled with water and they were replaced by a fine ornamental pond.The new building was opened in 1755 and by the late 19th century statues had been installed on the esplanade on the northern side while the streets to the south beyond Parker Street were narrow. Charles White co-founded the Manchester Royal Infirmary with local industrialist Joseph Bancroft in 1752, and was an honorary surgeon there until 1790. In an adjacent building was the Lunatic Asylum, established in 1763; in 1849 the asylum was removed to Cheadle, Cheshire. Students in the nineteenth century were awarded external degrees by the University of London." Wikipedia
No EXIF information is available

Categories & Keywords
Category:
Subcategory:
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords:Charles, White, buildings, health, hospitals, infirmary, lancashire, manchester, manchester royal infirmary, medicine, piccadilly, public, statues

Manchester Royal Infirmary, Piccadilly