Coalmining was once a major industry in West Cumbria. The Haig Pit Mining Museum Trust preserves the engine house and winding gear at Haig Colliery. The steam winding engines are truly enormous. The engines were made by "BEVER DORLING & CO LTD, BRADFORD: two 21" bore engines (installed 1917) in the north engine house, two 42" bore engines (installed 1933) in the south engine house. The pithead gear probably dates back to 1917" Source National Monuments Register. Listing NGR: NX9672817597
The Haig Pit (& others) suffered terrible disasters. The Haig disasters make awful reading 1922 39 killed, 1927 4 killed, 1928 7 killed, & 1931 27 were killed. At the William Pit in 1947 104 men lost their lives.